Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 5

Project Description
Internship site: Solar Turbines, Inc.
Department: Central Human Resources
Project Title: undetermined
General Description: a compilation of cultural holidays relating to Solar's worldwide employees; written description for the selected holidays; will be published in EAG (Employee Affinity Groups) newsletter
Learning Objectives: to achieve a further understanding of various cultures' holidays
Organization/Company Objectives & Benefits: "Products from Solar Turbines play an important role in the development of oil, natural gas and power generation projects around the world. Solar Turbines’ products include gas turbine engines (rated from 1590 to 30,000 horsepower), gas compressors, and gas turbine-powered compressor sets, mechanical-drive packages and generator sets (ranging from 1.1 to 22.4 megawatts)"
http://mysolar.cat.com/
Schedule: 8am-4pm
Academic Skills: good writing and grammar
Technical Skills: Microsoft Word & Powerpoint
Collaboration—Skills and Opportunities: holidays of interest were provided by international leaders part of Solar; clarification/assistance provided by mentor
Exhibition Plans: practice run scheduled two days before; whole Central HR department is invited to attend my presentation
Schedule & Timelines: (project was not officialialized till second full week of internship)
remainder of week (1/20-22) : begin research
early of week (1/25-27): rough draft completed, reviewed, & revised
1/27: POL practice run
1/29: Internship POL


Summary of Week
It was a pleasure to meet everyone around the facility, especially the president of Solar Turbines Steve Gosselin (YES, I met the president. Nifty, eh?). I also had lunch with the manager of the department I am working in. I found out that her son and my younger brother played for the same basketball team, so that was coincidental. The challenges my first week was getting my own access, as in my own badge and my own account for the computer. There wasn't much I could do except wait and be patient about this matter. I maintained a positive attitude the whole week. In addition, I was more than happy to help my co-workers with any small tasks they needed.

I definitely did not expect that the company I'm working for to be the great company that it is today. I also didn't realize how confidential things can be in an office, in addition to there being MANY, many things in a business that goes on ''behind the scenes.'' Who would have thought compensation, benefits, and pension were crucial in a company like Solar Turbines? I didn't, that's for sure. I also did not expect to meet the president of Solar! Obviously he's a very busy man, so just introducing myself to him was nice. I believe he was the one who was interested in recruiting a high school intern from HTH.

Overall, my first week was not that exciting to be honest. There were a few times that I enjoyed, but I had nothing productive to do for my own. Solar was on a ''winter break shut-down'' for three weeks, so my first day of internship was also their first day coming back from break. So it was busy, and many people were still settling down after the holidays. I didn't really have much to do because of the fact that I didn't have my own access. But I know that the next two weeks will be very busy according to my schedule that my mentor planned for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment